Today, Molino Merano has revived this ancient know-how by developing lievito madre in a perfectly controlled environment, in terms of safety, hygiene and temperature since its lab relies on the most advanced systems of analysis.
Its lievito madre is thus entirely natural: supplements of exclusively fine flours and pure water are added every day to ensure the internal fermentations of the lactobacilli and yeasts.
Using mother leaven in bread and pastry making offers numerous advantages:
- It increases fermentation stability and tolerance.
- It supports the natural proofing of doughs.
- It improves the flavour of products by enhancing the taste of the flours used.
- It makes the products easier to digest.
- It prolongs the shelf life of a product by keeping it soft over time and by protecting it from mould and any degrading bacteria.
All lievito madre share these properties. However, Molino Merano's lievito madre offers something more.